[asa] "horror miraculi"

From: Ted Davis <TDavis@messiah.edu>
Date: Wed May 13 2009 - 14:50:23 EDT

The term you are looking for, Cameron, is "horror miraculi", and it was
coined by the late R. Hookaas in his terrific little book, "Natural Law and
Divine Miracle" (1959), on p. 162. I can't type in the whole section to
provide the appropriate context, but I will copy this much (below).

"Things that matter much in human life, 'good' and 'bad', 'beautiful' and
'ugly', do not even exist in the world of science. Similarly, there is no
place for anything 'miraculous' or 'supernatural' in the scientific system.
Science never affirms these things: if a miracle were encountered, either a
more comprehensive law would be sought to account also for this irregular
event, or it would be explained away, or it would be reckoned among the
events 'not yet explained'. Methodologically, science regards everything
seemingly miraculous as subject to some natural law, it makes Simon Stevin's
motto its own: 'wonder en is geen wonder' (wonder is no wonder).

On the other hand, science does not *deny* 'miracle either, just as it does
not deny moral law or aesthetic feeling; it is simply blind to them."

Good stuff, recommended to all and not just to Cameron.

Ted