Re: [asa] Because of us - Steve Fuller's anthropic principle - Darwin's original sin

From: Gregory Arago <gregoryarago@yahoo.ca>
Date: Wed May 13 2009 - 11:37:26 EDT

Hi Ted,

I'm glad to play a third small fiddle in the discussion between Cameron and Schwarzwald and am pleased to share the latter's notion that 'MN is a misnomer.' You haven't addressed that yet, but instead seem to continue as if MN is simply what 'doing science' is all about. Perhaps you'll comment on that in an upcoming post.

Wrt the question of IDists backing away from or distinguishing 'naturalism' from 'materialism' and that you've met with 'deaf ears among ID proponents,' I can say from experience that John West agrees with Cameron's point, which you have also now supported, Ted. West (Associate Director, Centre for Science and Culture, DI) prefers to discuss 'materialism' rather than 'naturalism.' Though I didn't ask him directly why, since he said it matter-of-factly, as if it was not controversial (and there were other topics that I raised with him), I suspect there is some energy in the IDM to create space between its founder and the current leadership. Or else, Ted, perhaps you've been spotted as an 'other' with whom they would rather not speak directly because you're seen as an appeaser of the Darwinist lobby and a defender of MN. (it's a question why we have different answers?)

If you are stuck on 'the wedge,' Ted, then that is your hang-up, rather than the IDM's. Can they not possibly move beyond it, ever, in your opinion? If you would really require a 'nuclear bomb' (of course taken figuratively) of ideas, well, friend, that indeed might one day soon be forthcoming (I suspect before 2015). And it won’t happen in the way that you or any other American I've yet come across imagines it. I'm living in the 'post-wedge world' (or the non-wedge world), Ted, as undoubtedly are both Mike Gene and Cameron Wybrow. Why don't you join us?

Personally, I don't think you are giving enough attention to the meaning of 'ideology' since you seem to accept 'naturalism' wholeheartedly. Are you not in *any* way(s) anti-naturalistic or against naturalism as an ideology, Ted? I wonder how you would distinguish 'natural science' per se from 'naturalism.' And also, is it theoretically possible to be a 'natural scientist' who is not at the same time a 'naturalist'? I suspect that many participants on this list feel a need to defend 'naturalism' simply because they are 'natural scientists.' Please someone prove me wrong if this is not the case.

I think it's fair to say that IDists (remember they are under a ‘big tent’) have 'basic disagreements' with *both* 'materialism' and 'naturalism.’ Whether the priority of challenge is on one or the other depends on the philosophical sophistication (read: capacity) of observer/interpreter. Johnson has also called 'naturalism' a child of 'positivism.' It is thus quite surprising to me to hear Cameron say (according to his views of recent thoughts of Behe and Dembski) that "naturalism could reign supreme, and ID could still be a valid inference." But I suspect there is a nuance here that I am not yet clear about that has led him to observe this position. From my readings, the main ID advocates have been clear that ID is not a naturalistic idea as much as it is not a mechanistic idea.

As an aside, I personally think that Stephen Meyer is a more professional, deeper and balanced thinker than either Behe or Dembski, that is, after hearing both Meyer and Dembski speak and after corresponding with Behe (though Meyer's article that got Sternberg in trouble was not so fantastic). And Meyer is 'Program Director' at the DI, while Behe and Dembski are 'just fellows.'

The 'father of ID' is after all, not Phillip Johnson, but rather someone like Charles Thaxton or Walter Bradley. In fact, Thaxton is credited for the term 'intelligent design' through the 1984 book, "The Mystery of Life's Origins," which is before Johnson's "Darwin on Trial." Meyer worked closely with Thaxton and is deeply interested in 'origins of life' research, while Behe and Dembski are less interested in this particular 'field' (if one can call it something more than mere speculation). Added to that, the Discovery Institute hasn't been heavily influenced by Johnson for several years and the 'science' of 'intelligent design' is not offered by Johnson, but rather by those such as Douglas Axe and Behe.

What I gather from your post, Ted, and please correct me if I'm wrong, is that you think 'materialism' can be addressed by philosophy and theology, and that 'naturalism' is a topic for 'science.' In other words, if we want to understand 'naturalism' we should first and foremost ask 'natural scientists' about it, is that right? Am I missing something or misinterpreting in pointing out this apparent assumption?

From my view, 'naturalism' is not o.k. and 'evolution' is not fine *when* they are taken out of context and applied in the wrong places. To state the obvious, this message (i.e. the one I am still writing and that you are now reading) did not ‘evolve’ into being (or having become). The abuse and over-use of ‘evolution’ happens regularly in the academy today. Thus we have to speak also about ‘evolutionism’ (cf. naturalism) and not just about ‘natural scientific evolution.’

As for the distinction between 'origins science' and 'operational science,' Cameron and Moorad are better to reply than I. Let me just stick with the notion that MN is a misnomer, which I will show more fully in coming weeks (contra Keith Miller).

Gregory

“The entire value of this new revolutionary policy flows from its reality and its timeliness, spontaneously guaranteed by a philosophy that, setting aside abstract constructs, always conceives of the artificial order as a wise extension of the natural order.” – A. Comte (“Report to the Positivist Society,” August 8, 1848)