[asa] Global Cooling

From: Jon Tandy <tandyland@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue May 12 2009 - 10:43:53 EDT

This may have been discussed sometime in the past, but I would like someone
to give a concise description of what happened with the "global cooling"
scare back in the 1970's. Not something from the anti-global warming
advocates, who trumpet this rhetorically to show that "scientists don't
really understand the environment, and the global warming scare will
probably a memory in another decade," but a summary from someone (on list or
in an Internet link) who understands the current global warming consensus.

Why was there a global cooling prediction (or is this even an overblown view
of history), and what led to those predictions that eventually proved to be
incorrect?

If there were unknowns that led to that failed prediction, how do we know
that the current warming predictions are on target and unlikely to be
overturned? In other words, what assurance do we have that this won't be a
non-issue 10 years from now, as the AGW lobby claims?

Jon Tandy