Re: [asa] The Black Hole War: My Battle with Stephen Hawking to Make the World Safe for Quantum Mechanics

From: David Campbell <pleuronaia@gmail.com>
Date: Mon May 11 2009 - 18:08:40 EDT

> Hawking’s was a radical suggestion, since nowhere else in physics is there thought to be such a fundamental loss of information. Certainly, information can be lost in practice as it radiates away. If you put a match to a newspaper article, the information is essentially gone for good. But physicists had generally agreed that the unitary time evolution of quantum mechanics guarantees that in principle, no information would be irretrievably lost. Given enough effort and resources, you could reconstruct the newspaper article from the postcombustion ashes, smoke, and photons. <

In this sense from physics, is information regarded as continually
increasing with the history of everything? For example, the fact that
you burned the newspaper would seem to be a new bit of information,
not present in the original newspaper, that could also be
reconstructed in theory.

At any rate, this does not match with the ID claims that only an
intelligent agent can create new information. Human analogs are just
as limited by the laws of quantum mechanics as is the process of
evolution.

--
Dr. David Campbell
425 Scientific Collections