RE: [asa] social evolution for Jon Tandy

From: Dehler, Bernie <bernie.dehler@intel.com>
Date: Mon May 11 2009 - 17:56:15 EDT

Dr. Campbell said:
"20th century history doesn't give good grounds for assuming that things are getting better, though many people assume they are superior to those who came before."

I strongly disagree. The fact of WW1 and WW2 isn't necessarily bad. They were major lessons society undertook. In fact, they may be a guarantee that WW3 will never happen! (We know better now- nuclear war isn't something that anyone can win). The new warfare is now economic- competition in the markets. World domination is now sought through business, for the advanced nations.

And yes- maybe I conflated evolution with progress. Not all evolution is positive, such as dog breeds with certain health issues. But the best things in life did come from simpler things, through evolution (the nicest car today had many, many predecessors for example). And innovation is one mechanism of social evolution and technical evolution.

...Bernie