RE: [asa] social evolution for Jon Tandy

From: Dehler, Bernie <bernie.dehler@intel.com>
Date: Mon May 11 2009 - 16:16:11 EDT

Hi Jon- I changed the subject title to reflect this post and the old one was tired.

Social evolution is different from biological evolution just as it is different from cosmological evolution.

Evolution defined my way means "to get to point c you have to travel from point a through point b." Things just don't pop-out of thin air.

In biological evolution, man came from apelike creatures, which eventually game from sea creatures, etc.

In cosmological evolution all the elements of the periodic table can be traced back to the explosion of stars.

In social evolution all of the advanced social traits can be traced backwords.

Example: in finance (an institutional machine created by society which is invisible), we recently had 'credit default swaps' (which some blame for the current credit crisis) These could never have been invented without the backbone of mortgages, bonds, etc. first existing.

Slavery vs. freedom. Freedom is a superior thought, and that it why it took awhile to arise and be predominate in advanced civilizations. Lower forms of life practice and condone slavery, as well as racism (unequal rights based on race).

Nuclear power is not good or bad. How it is used is good or bad. Nuclear power may be a good energy source (I'm not educated in that debate). Maybe nuclear weapons are good for deterrence, but bad in actual use... like the gun your neighbor has.

You say:
"Or did these social concepts evolve naturally, with God's providential guidance over the affairs of men... "

What's wrong with nature if God made it? Your body heals itself. Plants can grow on their own without your help. Does that detract from God in some way?

...Bernie