Re: [asa] MN and Falsifiability (was: Multiverse and ID)

From: Schwarzwald <schwarzwald@gmail.com>
Date: Mon May 11 2009 - 04:41:40 EDT

Heya Jon,

Some comments below.

But taking Bill's more general point related to the theory of methodological
> naturalism, he said that "No matter what the evidence, I think the position
> would still be held" and "some story would be developed to explain it". In
> other words, those who are committed to a "fully" naturalistic explanation
> (with or without a Theistic primary cause) would find some sort of story to
> explain the universe in naturalistic terms. The multiverse is just a good
> case in point -- a story that is presumably unfalsifiable, in order to
> justify a naturalistic origin for a very improbable universe.

Recently, Dan Dennett had a debate/confrontation with Alvin Plantinga. If
memory serves me, during that Dennett said that even if it were demonstrated
that there was design at work in natural history (say, the origin of life,
or evolution itself), then the best explanation would be aliens or otherwise
- and it was clear to me that Dan regarded such explanations as
naturalistic. Francis Crick comes to mind as well - when he toyed with the
idea of directed panspermia, was he giving up naturalism? Apparently not, or
at least that would be an interesting way to view his argument.

In the end, naturalism really isn't falsifiable. There's always an out -
always a mechanism that probably exists but we just haven't discovered or
observed. In fact, there are even explanations for why we cannot figure
certain things out - have a look at Colin McGinn and the New Mysterians, who
argue that there are certain things humans simply cannot figure out, even
though they certainly have naturalistic explanations (consciousness is the
prime example, but I believe McGinn and others believe other things may also
be in this category.)

Then we have not only multiverse hypotheses, but even simulation hypotheses.
There we have David Chalmers (who has the distinction of rejection
materialism but defending naturalism) among others arguing that if we live
in a designed universe, then it could just be a computer simulation - and
that that is a naturalistic hypothesis.

However, I want to go a different direction with this. Why did we come to
> think that methodological naturalism had any merit in the first place?
> It's
> because as we investigated the universe, we found more and more things that
> operated by natural (or at least apparently natural) and regular laws and
> cause/effect relationships. It was the success of science, not a prior
> commitment to naturalism, that led to naturalism's dominance. The "prior
> commitment" before naturalism was to divine action of some kind or another.
> So what would have happened if scientific investigation had instead
> revealed
> more and more ways in which divine action was obvious? Methodological
> naturalism might never have gained ground. Thus, in this sense I think
> Bill
> is wrong -- MN could potentially have been falsifiable, if the evidence to
> rule out natural cause and effect had been clearly present. However, that
> hasn't been the case.

Sorry, but I couldn't disagree more with this. Because there is no way to
make 'divine action' obvious. Perform a miracle and you have not
demonstrated that naturalism is wrong. There can be naturalistic
explanations for such - alien intelligences (either within or outside our
world), grand deception, etc. Recall that early into Christianity, one
preferred method for 'explaining' the resurrection was not to deny it, but
call it the work of a magician or demons.

The success of "naturalism" in the sciences is, in my opinion, built vastly
more on publicity and spin than actual historical results. Every discovery
of science that can fit with "naturalism" can fit with theism, or
panpsychism, or idealism, or otherwise - because science itself is
dramatically limited, and can't settle metaphysical questions.

Finally, there's no way to make 'divine action' obvious. Certainly not when
dealing with what constitutes the universe. Even if there was a case of
undeniable design (and keep in mind that such cases, I think, are limited to
singular acts of communication rather than design of laws or regularities
etc.) - say, someone writing on the moon 'I exist. Signed, God.' - it no
more makes 'divine action' certain than seeing the same up on an interstate
billboard.

> So the main point in dispute, then, is whether MN can explain 100% of
> natural effects, or whether it will turn out to only be able to explain
> only
> 99% or 90%, etc. Due to its success so far, atheistic scientists and TEs
> alike seem to hold out that it can; ID is counting on it not being able to
> go 100%. So let's ask a question: let's assume MN can account for 90% of
> effects in the natural world. Is it possible to ever falsify it in the
> remaining 10%, and if so, how? Could it be falsified in the same way as I
> described above, by finding areas of obvious divine action? If MN can't be
> falsified, is it scientific?

Actually, even atheistic scientists admit that there are going to be certain
questions ("What breathes fire into the equations?") that science is never
going to address. Some atheistic philosophers, as noted, believe science is
going to irrevocably break down (unless we suddenly 'evolve' into new
creatures that we cannot currently imagine).

I think the term "methodological naturalism" is a mistake - it gives more
credit to metaphysical naturalism than it deserves. Perhaps "methodological
pragmatism".

Or, are we asking the wrong question? If MN is not a "scientific theory"