[asa] Re: [asa] Szilágyi

From: Gregory Arago <gregoryarago@yahoo.ca>
Date: Sun May 10 2009 - 12:47:01 EDT

Dave W.,

First, why were you visiting her blog, other than to research a culture war mentality? O'Leary is a sensationalist. She writes for entertainment. She is not a scientist, not an academic. This much is clear in her profile. ASA knows this and has been offended by her 'openly'.

So, when she writes something like "grovel and cringe just to keep their jobs" you can safely call it exaggeration for journalistic effect and leave it at that.

Fired up by O'Leary's non-academic, non-scientific appeal to emotions, you write:
"It is sad that only the atheists are allowed to express their religion/world view openly in many of our secular universities."

This is of course not true. And how could you even suggest this on the ASA, filled with theists who express themselves openly (even) at secular universities? It makes no sense.

But, to follow your logic, Dave, why would a natural scientist *want* to express his or her religion/worldview 'in class' *as if* it had anything to do with their 'science'? Your argument, and the argument of MNists and TEists is, quite obviously, that it has nothing to do with their science. Do you now back off from such a position?

WIth respect to a human-social scholar, yes, perhaps this would make sense; i.e. where values and meaning and purpose are concerned 'by nature/character' of the academic field. But in a 'natural-physical science' Dave? There doesn't religion/worldview matter not one iota?

Perhaps the Hungarians are well ahead of the (negatively) polarising discussions that 'western' 'science and religion' discourse have been facing in recent decades? I'm sure you can imagine this Dave from up at your cabin.

Gregory