Re: [asa] Multiverse and ID

From: Bill Powers <wjp@swcp.com>
Date: Sat May 09 2009 - 13:19:23 EDT

Wayne:

I don't see why finding other life forms in our universe would
distinguish between strong and weak forms of the anthropic principle,
where here, it seems, the anthropic principle is viewed in the contexts
of possible universes, and from the point of multiverses that these are
actualized possibilites.

An anthropic principle in which there is only one real world makes
little sense to me. From what probability space is the one possibility
drawn: merely a conceptual one, one of our making? Lacking a
probability space any speculation of the probability of our world is
nothing but stupid. It is highly unlikely that a flipped coin will
stand on end, but observing a flipped coin do just that, I have no means
of assessing whether it is likely or not lacking some notion of the
probability space, in which case, the proper Bayesian attitude is that
it is 50-50, presuming, of course, that I have reason to believe that a
flipped coin could not stand on end. We lack, however, even that
knowledge of the probability space. Hence, all speculation is more than
a waste of time.

I suppose these comments would apply to any theory, including a multiverse
one. Without access to the world outside our world, in which case it is
not outside our world, multiverses and probablistic realizations of worlds
appears to me to be only valuable for metaphysicians.

bill