Re: [asa] Multiverse and ID

From: Jim Armstrong <jarmstro@qwest.net>
Date: Sat May 09 2009 - 11:32:54 EDT
You know, it's hard for me to swallow that a 10^(-1018) probability represents anything even vaguely "realistic". It basically says that we don't know enough to cough up a realistic estimate.  JimA  [Friend of ASA]

wayne wrote:
Ted

Perhaps there is some room to gloat, but I would urge caution.  We know very little about the world we live in.

I was glad to see that Koonin admitted  and it was one of the very rare signs of a little frank honesty I have seen in years.  I couldn't help but feel some suspicion when the multiverse argument popped up in the paper.  It does read funny and is slightly jarring.  But all that said, let's not forget the we do not __know__ the truth.  Science is always tentative.  Though I admit I have felt some of this was hokum, we cannot rule out the possibility that there really is some hard wiring in the fabric of the universe that does allow some sort of anthropic principle to prevail regardless.  Maybe the weak anthropic principle is a fundamental parameter (or weight) a theorist could play around with. Steven Weinberg has used the anthropic principle in arguments in string theory.  Maybe he is right.  In fact, the anthropic principle has a teleology in this respect because it is selecting from an infinite set.  I'm not defending the use, and we religious folk have often been brutally criticized for using it, but Weinberg is a good scientist (though regrettably an atheist), so it isn't like he hasn't thought seriously about it before.

At any rate, let's not forget that Paul says, "but we preach Christ crucified, a stumbling block for the Jews and foolishness to the gentiles".  Our faith is made perfect in weakness.  He does argue that God's invisible handiwork is "plain to see", but let's not be too quick to think we know what "plain to see" means.  Whatever it is, it is far deeper than we imagine.  Paul was there around the height of the ancient world.  I think that should tell us what we need to keep our focus on preaching on.
by Grace we proceed,
Wayne