Re: [asa] Multiverse and ID

From: Bill Powers <wjp@swcp.com>
Date: Sat May 09 2009 - 10:21:20 EDT

What Koonin is doing is just what ID attempts. He, at least in
principle, is attempting to "rationally" assess when a paradigm has
failed, needs to be abandoned, or a mark of when more fruitful research
ought to be sought.

All the commentators responded exactly as those who respond to ID
respond: the time is not yet, you abandon too soon the quest.

By which I am reminded of Kuhn's Planckian dictum: new theories are
adopted only after the older generation have passed away. There is,
Kuhn maintains, never a "perfect" reason to abandon an older paradigm,
and always a good reason to maintain it.

Can you comment on how the anthropic principle can be used in a scientific
theory. To me it simply affirms that we should not be surprised. If I
take this in a Bayesian sense, that would seemingly entail that it can
play no distinctive amongst alternative theories.

  bill