Re: [asa] Multiverse and ID

From: dawson wayne <dawsonzhu@gmail.com>
Date: Sat May 09 2009 - 03:05:49 EDT

Ted

Perhaps there is some room to gloat, but I would urge caution. We know very
little about the world we live in.

I was glad to see that Koonin admitted a 10^(-1018) probability. It did
seem like more realistic odds and it was one of the very rare signs of a
little frank honesty I have seen in years. I couldn't help but feel some
suspicion when the multiverse argument popped up in the paper. It does read
funny and is slightly jarring. But all that said, let's not forget the we
do not __know__ the truth. Science is always tentative. Though I admit I
have felt some of this was hokum, we cannot rule out the possibility that
there really is some hard wiring in the fabric of the universe that does
allow some sort of anthropic principle to prevail regardless. Maybe the
weak anthropic principle is a fundamental parameter (or weight) a theorist
could play around with. Steven Weinberg has used the anthropic principle in
arguments in string theory. Maybe he is right. In fact, the anthropic
principle has a teleology in this respect because it is selecting from an
infinite set. I'm not defending the use, and we religious folk have
often been brutally criticized for using it, but Weinberg is a good
scientist (though regrettably an atheist), so it isn't like he hasn't
thought seriously about it before.

At any rate, let's not forget that Paul says, "but we preach Christ
crucified, a stumbling block for the Jews and foolishness to the
gentiles". Our faith is made perfect in weakness. He does argue that God's
invisible handiwork is "plain to see", but let's not be too quick to think
we know what "plain to see" means. Whatever it is, it is far deeper than we
imagine. Paul was there around the height of the ancient world. I think
that should tell us what we need to keep our focus on preaching on.
by Grace we proceed,
Wayne