Re: [asa] a creationist on the hiddenness of God

From: George Murphy <GMURPHY10@neo.rr.com>
Date: Thu May 07 2009 - 23:04:15 EDT

My even quicker responses:

1) I wasn't arguing particularly against ID when I spoke about "an adequate theology of divine action." I was writing about science-theology dialogue in terms of a theology of the cross well before ID came on the scene.

2) The hiddnness of God is "a fundamental premise of the Hebrew Bible -- as George must know very well." George has already cited Is.45:15 here & spoken about the cross-resurrection pattern in the OT so you should have said "as George clearly does know," but that wouldn't have been quite as effective rhetorically. Nevertheless, the hiddenness of God even in his revelation in the cross is more profound - not surprisingly if the OT points toward, & finds its fulfillment in, the New. It's a mistake to say that what's new about trhe cross is God's wekness & vulnerability & not his hiddenness, for it's precisely that wekness & vulnerability that hides God from the person looking for the standard superhero God. If God weren't hidden in the event of the cross in a way more profound than what Israelites had always believed then the cross wouldn't have been a scandal to the Jews (I Cor.1:23).

3) Whether or not the risen Christ would have been seen by a Roman soldier if he'd stood in front of him is not something that can be answered definitively by the accounts we have of the appearances in the Gospels & to Paul in Acts. Some people to whom Jesus appeared didn't recognize him, & we have apparently contradictory statements about what Paul's companions experienced (Acts 9:7 & 22:9). I'm strongly inclined to believe that the Roman soldier would have seen Jesus - after all, Thomas & others who doubted (Mt.28:17) did. But that isn't what I was talking about. All the accounts make it clear that the risen Christ appeared only to those he chose. He would have been seen if he'd appeared to the soldier but he didn't. It wasn't like the crucifixion, when anyone in Jerusalem who wanted to could go out and see Jesus dying. & that is the sense in which the resurrection appearances were not public - they were "private showings" to those whom Jesus chose. So your great discovery of another heterodox TE falls to the ground because it depends on your misleading use of the word "public." What you're referring to is whether or not the resurrection appearances were objective. Be more careful about "taking" what I'm supposedly "implying." (& again, drop the "George must also know" gimmick.)

I should also add that while I indeed disagree with Bultmann, he had an important point which is often missed. To say that "Jesus is risen into the kerygma" is certainly not a full or even adequate statement about the resurrection, but it is essential because that's the only way the risen Christ in this life is going to encounter us in this life. He isn't going to appear to us as he did to Mary Magdalene & Peter, but comes to us when he is proclaimed (&, I would add, in the "visible words" of the sacraments). I think that's part of the significance of the abrupt ending of Mark at 16:8.

Shalom
George