Re: [asa] a creationist on the hiddenness of God

From: dawson wayne <dawsonzhu@gmail.com>
Date: Thu May 07 2009 - 20:57:47 EDT

2009/5/8 Cameron Wybrow <wybrowc@sympatico.ca>

> It's hard to see why the inference that the complexity of a cell requires
> intelligent design (even supposing it's a bad inference) poses any obstacle
> to any theology of divine action that anyone here might wish to propose.
> The inference "God designed this" does not in any way restrict the
> speculations of theologians regarding how God actualized his design, or what
> purpose the design serves in God's overall plan. The fact that both Dembski
> and Behe have granted the possibility of quantum explanations shows the
> flexibility of ID on this subject, and ought to set TE fears at rest.

It isn't like I haven't ever thought about ways I might detect things like
this or sought out people who might have ideas. The main concern that I
have, as a trained scientist (who is Christian), is that these arguments,
although plausible, typically turn out subtle or undetectable. Let's try it
another way. What if we detect nothing and we __know__ we've given it our
best effort? Do we throw Christianity into the trash can as a bunch of
bunk, or do we go back to why we became Christians in the first place? If
some scientist shakes a flask of chemicals and bacteria really do come
crawling out, what are you going to say? I know that is not likely to
happen, and they wouldn't "crawl out" if they are bacteria, but I do
question the wisdom of drawing lines in the sand when we hardly understand
anything about the world and what God put into it at all. If you don't find
these fingerprints you want, will you give up your faith? It's not that we
don't share a desire to know more or to find something more tangible to
grasp onto, just like you. At least for myself as a physicist, it is that I
have come to see that science probably cannot test these kinds of questions
about ultimate reality. Science basically has to test things that can be
fit in some sort of box, which eliminates a lot of things that __may be
true__ but no one can be sure. Some things the Greeks speculated on took
more than 2000 years to verify and these predictions could finally be fit in
a box. It would seem that God is bigger than any box I can think of and his
actions seem to be bigger than that box too.

by Grace we proceed,
Wayne