Re: [asa] a creationist on the hiddenness of God

From: George Murphy <GMURPHY10@neo.rr.com>
Date: Thu May 07 2009 - 16:46:20 EDT

A couple of comments:

Bernie is right - what "careful observers" see is not God's "hand" but the
"tools" wielded by that hand. This is why I've emphasized that faith (in a
deeper sense than just believing in invisible agents) has to be a component
of an adequate theology of divine action.

On Ted's discussion: People may have varying reasons for thinking that
God's action is generally hidden. As will surprise no one, I think the
fundamental reason for such a view is that the God we're talking about is
the one revealed most profoundly in the event of the cross - i.e.,
paradoxically where God is most hidden. (Some will ask, "What about the
resurrection?" As I said in a recent post, a theology of the cross includes
the resurrection of the crucified one. But the resurrection was not a
public event, the kind of phenomenon open to observation by everyone - cf.
Jn.14:19.)

Shalom
George