Re: [asa] Is God a big meanie?

From: Dave Wallace <wmdavid.wallace@gmail.com>
Date: Thu May 07 2009 - 09:54:37 EDT

Bethany Sollereder wrote:
> Dave,
>
> As for pain and its goodness, one should remember that leprosy is
> simply the killing of pain nerves. Leprosy is commonly understood as
> a flesh-eating disease, but this is a mistake. It simply deadens pain
> sensations, and the people rip their own bodies to pieces by not being
> able to heed the warning signs pain gives. It makes one wonder about
> the wisdom of our cultural love for pain killers...
My father ran the clean and leper schools at a leprosarium in Ethiopia
when I was doing grade 9 by correspondence. I well remember complaints
from the medical staff that rodents (mice and rats) ate toes at night
while the patients slept. Fire burns were also not uncommon as they did
not feel the pain.

Dave W