[asa] Hubble's Nobel?

From: George Murphy <GMURPHY10@neo.rr.com>
Date: Wed May 06 2009 - 10:42:55 EDT

Some of you may know that last year the US issued a set of 4 stamps commemorating US scientists, one of whom was Edwin Hubble. There's a little info about each on the back of the sheet & that for Hubble concludes by saying "Had he not died suddenly in 1953, Hubble would have won that year's Nobel Prize in Physics."

I'm reasonably up on the history of cosmology, & for that matter of physics Nobels, but I'd never heard that. It certainly would have been appropriate but no one to that point had won the physics prize for work in astronomy or astrophysics: The 1st ones to do so were Fowler & Chandrasekhar 30 years later. Does anyone know anything about this?

(The prize in 1953 went to Frits Zernike for phase constrast microscopy - significant but hardly revolutionary.)

Shalom
George