Re: [asa] costs of "doing something"

From: William Hamilton <willeugenehamilton@gmail.com>
Date: Wed May 06 2009 - 00:20:23 EDT

Krugman makes some good points:
1) That Americans have an amazing ability to innovate to handle challenges.
2) That if restrictions on CO2 emissions are implemented gradually the
economic dislocations shouldn't be excessive

I fully agree with point 1). Point 2) is a sticking point. There will
be tremendous pressure to implement CO2 restrictions as quickly as
possible. This pressure will come primarily from the Left -- Obama's
and Congress' constituency.

Finally, a point I seldom see mentioned anymore: China and India are
not bound by the Kyoto accords, and will probably see a tremendous
disadvantage to their own economic advancement if they observe CO2
emission restrictions. China has large coal reserves and is building
coal-fired plants very rapidly.

On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 2:40 PM, John Burgeson (ASA member)
<hossradbourne@gmail.com> wrote:
> Here is a link to the costs of doing something quickly.
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/01/opinion/01krugman.html?th&emc=th
>
> "The 2008 election ended the reign of junk science in our nationís
> capital, and the chances of meaningful action on climate change,
> probably through a cap-and-trade system on emissions, have risen
> sharply.
>
> Paul Krugman
>
> But the opponents of action claim that limiting emissions would have
> devastating effects on the U.S. economy. So itís important to
> understand that just as denials that climate change is happening are
> junk science, predictions of economic disaster if we try to do
> anything about climate change are junk economics.
>
> Yes, limiting emissions would have its costs. As a card-carrying
> economist, I cringe when ďgreen economyĒ enthusiasts insist that
> protecting the environment would be all gain, no pain.
>
> But the best available estimates suggest that the costs of an
> emissions-limitation program would be modest, as long as itís
> implemented gradually. And committing ourselves now might actually
> help the economy recover from its current slump
>
> There's more.
>

> --
> Burgy
>
> www.burgy.50megs.com