Re: [asa] Is God a big meanie?

From: Merv Bitikofer <mrb22667@kansas.net>
Date: Tue May 05 2009 - 17:44:46 EDT

Good posts. Bethany, you sound like someone who has absorbed some of
Paul Brand's writings; (I really find his and Yancey's books profound.)

He [Brand] helped discover the importance of pain and how if we were
able to magically substitute for it the much less unpleasant "lights on
a dashboard" type of concept where our brain is simply informed that
finger #2 is presently experiencing damaging temperatures; and we fore
go the intensity of sensation involved, then we simply ignore or put off
taking care of problems much like me foolishly ignoring warning lights
on the dash of my car for days, weeks, months... as long as they aren't
about things essential to the core function of my car I put off
attending to them. Our psychology is such that we just don't take
things seriously even about our own bodies until we have pain or the
imminent threat of it. So without that we go the way Bethany described
and our bodies fall into disrepair and we die of infections or other
trivial things.

Isaiah 65 is a fascinating description of the new heaven and new
earth. The same passages that speak of lions, lambs, and oxes lying
down or eating together (and not each other) also speak of full life
with ---and get this--- timely death! It doesn't say no one or nothing
will ever die. It says the man who dies at a mere one hundred years
will be as one who died in his youth. Granted there are many other
passages from which we ground our eschatological ideas of the eventual
"absolutely no death", but we don't usually notice those passages in
which death is still assumed to be part of the natural order ---even the
"new earth" natural order!

--Merv