Re: [asa] Is God a big meanie?

From: Bethany Sollereder <bsollereder@gmail.com>
Date: Tue May 05 2009 - 14:53:21 EDT

Dave,

We could also add to this the fact that eternal life would only be "nice" if
it was coupled with eternal youth. A world where we grew older and older
and never died would not be paradise - it would be a living nightmare.
Also, without death (at least at the cellular level) there would be no
apoptosis (the regulated death of cells). Without this, not only could we
not develop since the differentiation of our body parts is reliant upon
apoptosis for separating fingers, arms, legs, etc. but our cells would all
be cancerous. One of the prime characteristics of cancer cells is their
"immortality", or lack of apoptosis. They grow without limit.

As for pain and its goodness, one should remember that leprosy is simply the
killing of pain nerves. Leprosy is commonly understood as a flesh-eating
disease, but this is a mistake. It simply deadens pain sensations, and the
people rip their own bodies to pieces by not being able to heed the warning
signs pain gives. It makes one wonder about the wisdom of our cultural love
for pain killers...

Bethany