Re: [asa] No Adam?

From: Merv Bitikofer <mrb22667@kansas.net>
Date: Tue May 05 2009 - 08:07:52 EDT

John Burgeson (ASA member) wrote:
> On 5/2/09, Merv Bitikofer <mrb22667@kansas.net> wrote:
>
> "But it would be impossible and useless for us to identify the day and
> hour that this "switch" happened and we became literate."
>
> It might be "useless," but I can clearly remember that day and hour.
> It was late evening; I was riding in the back seat as my parents drove
> home. We passed the Ford dealer and I spelled out the sign -- F O R D
> -- and ask dad what it said. When he told me it was like a veil being
> lifted! Letters spelled out real words, and I could decode them! I
> made a real pest of myself on the rest of the way home! I could read!
>
> I have never quit!
>
> Burgy

Yes, but I pretty strongly suggest that you weren't reading at the level
you are now on that very next day! Nevertheless, your reply illustrates
something at play here: our propensity or need to "nail things down"
and commemorate those important milestones as it were. Think how
important it is to some Christians to be able to recite day and hour
when they became saved. They resist or set aside the notion that there
may have been any progression or process involved because they/we all
are more comfortable functioning as binary thinkers. We celebrate a
birth"day" even though we were quite alive the day before and
incrementally progressing there for around nine months before that. But
a trip down the birth canal is a significant event and as good as any to
choose for documentation purposes. But my point is that these are
conveniences for the sake of our own thought processes about the world
and not necessarily accurate reflections of reality. We want to think
of "one" Adam and "one" fall event that neatly happened at one time
because that is easier to process, relate theological truths about,
etc. I think it a valid form of accommodation. Hence the wrestlings of
others here over "just who was the first" to be this or do that. They
may be missing the point that the historical accommodation shouldn't be
the focus of the theology --particularly not after it is recognized as
accommodation. This only gives others unnecessary grounds for
dismissing it.

--Merv