Re: [asa] No Adam?

From: <philtill@aol.com>
Date: Tue May 05 2009 - 01:56:04 EDT

 Gordon asked, "Do you think that the parents of the first fallen human were created in
the image of God?"

Hi Gordon,
from what I gather there is little consensus among theologians as to what the image of God is.? The Bible affirms that modern man is created in God's image.? It never says which other creatures are not in God's image.? So maybe other creatures are in God's image, too.? (E.g., angels probably are.? What about Neanderthal?? etc.)

This is pure speculation, but I don't want to dodge your question so here goes.? I would guess that being in God's image implies the ability to respond to God spiritually, which is not the same as being able to conceive of God intellectually.? John the Baptist in the womb responded to Christ, and yet he in that state was far less advanced than a Neanderthal, certainly unable to conceive of God.?

So I think your question comes down to this:? Did God see to it that these two things appeared in one generation simultaneously:

1.? beings able to respond to God spiritually, and
2.? falling into sin??

or did item 1 occur some number of generations earlier than item 2?

In my way of thinking, the first ones who fell were the first ones who were able to grasp the concept of good versus evil.? So to me, I can equivalently ask did God see to it that these two things appeared in one generation simultaneously:

1.? beings able to respond to God spiritually, and

2.? being able to grasp the concepts of good and evil??

or did item 1 occur some number of generations earlier than item 2?? One is spiritual and the other is mental.? I don't see any reason why God would need to keep them simultaneous or make them non-simultaneous.? I don't see anything to tip the answer one way or the other.? Also, I don't think it affects our theology in any way.

By the way, in my way of thinking, item 1 means the tree of life was available.? Item 2 means the tree of the knowledge of good and evil was available.? Man chose to eat of the wrong tree first, and this led to disaster.

Phil