Re: [asa] Re: natural theology, bad and good

From: Gregory Arago <gregoryarago@yahoo.ca>
Date: Mon May 04 2009 - 16:49:46 EDT

Hi Ted,

Thanks for this post. Let me ask for a bit of even-handedness on your part, though, instead of the usual ID bashing. I am not an IDist, as you know, and certainly agree that Cameron gave away a LOT in his position by saying he was in effect 'stuck' in the 17th or 18th century in terms of his theology. Yet, his references to Gilson and Copleston went unremarked - it is as if there is some kind of bias that favours Protestant Christians as opposed to Orthodox or Catholic Christians in your response.

You wrote:
"There are several consequences of these two facts -- by which I mean the shallowness of many popular TE writers and the ignorance of most ID proponents when it comes to modern theology." (my bolding)

But then your points (1) to (5) were all about criticisms of ID lacking any contact with modern theology.

Would you likewise be willing to say something negative that results from or demonstrates "the shallowness of many popular TE writers" too? Or would this be too close to some positions held on the ASA list? Asking for (5) points related to TE's theological shallowness might be too much to ask, but a couple of points would help balance the playing field a bit.

For example, you write:
"The serious stuff about TE is done mostly by people with serious theological educations"

But how could this be true if you have charged them with 'shallowness'?

Or are you just distinguighing 'popular' from 'serious' here? If so, then perhaps the same could be true of your opponent's knowledge - there are some serious IDists with adequate knowledge of modern theology to critique TEist's mystical process-oriented liberalism successfully.

Thanks,
Gregory