[asa] YEC quiz

From: Ted Davis <TDavis@messiah.edu>
Date: Mon May 04 2009 - 10:47:08 EDT

As Rich Blinne says in his answer, the idiosyncratic definition of "creation
science", an older term that is equivalent to "scientific creationism" or
what is usually called "young-earth creationism" today, comes from Dean
Kenyon's testimony at the Edwards v Aguillard trial.

Kenyon's definition can't be taken seriously, obviously: no other
creationist I can think of would say that a young earth, flood geology, and
the Bible are not essential to the view. Kenyon must have said what he did
for political reasons related to presenting creationism as an "alternative"
to evolution in the schools, and he must have known that he was giving a
highly inaccurate definition of the view. If I had been the judge there, in
fact, I would have wondered whether Kenyon was either incompetent to give a
definition or else was giving false testimony on that particular point. As
Rich's post points out, Kenyon was later involved with the founding of the
ID movement, and as an author of the "Pandas and People" book he is, perhaps
more than anyone else, responsible for getting ID labeled with the
"creationist" brush at the Dover trial. Not that some leading ID advocates
weren't also part of that book project and share some responsibility for
what the judge ruled. Overall, the Dover ruling was about certain chickens
coming home to roost.

Ted