Re: [asa] Re: natural theology, bad and good

From: Cameron Wybrow <wybrowc@sympatico.ca>
Date: Sun May 03 2009 - 01:23:34 EDT

Hello, George. For some reason, even though your reply had both my name and the ASA list on the "to" line, it came only to my Inbox; I don't see it on the ASA site. So I'm including your note to me in this reply to all.

First, let me thank you for your firm but gentle response. I will try to reply in kind.

I will start with a note of agreement, regarding the woman in your congregation. That woman is not going to learn about sin from studying nature. Nor is she going to learn about the remedy for sin from studying nature. You and I are in complete agreement on this point. But I can't think of an ID proponent, or any proponent of classical natural theology, who would say that one can learn all one needs to know about God from nature, or even the greater part of what one needs to know about God from nature. Aquinas, for example, was very clear about that. And given that ID proponents are generally accused of hiding a conservative Biblicism underneath their appeal to ID as science, I can't believe that you or anyone here would suppose that Paul Nelson and George Hunter and Stephen Meyer believe that they can be saved by feeding birds or communing with nature.

I also agree with you that anti-bodily, anti-natural attitudes can be found in Catholicism as well as Protestantism. I am not defending them when they occur in Catholicism, though I understand that the Roman Church has moved quite a bit away from its former popular teaching about the inherent "lowness" of things bodily.

Yes, I'm aware that the second part of Psalm 19 is about the Law, not about nature. The question is what is the relation between the two parts. I suspect that we would disagree on that. But we cannot take on exegetical matters in this forum. They are too detailed.

I cannot comment on the German theological discussions you raise, as I am unfamiliar with them. I suspect that your liking for Barth springs partly from his stance in some internal German theological discussions which I am not familiar with. For all I know, Barth was reacting against an extreme natural theology and felt he had to be almost extreme in the other direction. And he may have been entirely justified in doing so, in context. I would not know. I am for the most part uninterested in any theology written after about 1600-1700 anyway, except to the extent that it helps to revive and explain for modern audiences the pre-modern tradition of theological thought. Thus, I enjoy the writings of Etienne Gilson and Father Copleston.

While we are talking about dates, let me clarify: by "classical", I meant not only pre-20th century; I meant prior to about 1700. And when I spoke of Protestant confessions, I was speaking of the Westminister, Augsburg, etc. Confessions.

Your concern with 17th and 18th century natural theology and rationalism (which by the way George Hunter also deplores, but that doesn't stop him from endorsing ID) is revelatory. It shows that we are talking at cross-purposes. If you think I am defending some liberal 18th-century rationalism against Barth, you are mistaken. I am defending Aquinas against Barth, or, more broadly, those forms of Christianity which co-ordinate Athens and Jerusalem in a careful way against those which would reject Athens in favour of Jerusalem. Generally speaking, I think the whole modern discussion is misguided, because it is based on the destruction of the pre-modern balance achieved by the Fathers, the Scholastics, and the Renaissance thinkers, and therefore swings wildly towards either Reason or Revelation, towards rationalist or fideist positions. My own position is partly expressed in the Pope's Regensburg speech of a few years ago: the truths of faith may sometimes go beyond reason, but they are not against reason, and religious traditions which do not avail themselves of the reason which belongs to man as man, the reason given to us by God, will have trouble communicating themselves to unbelievers, and will have trouble sustaining themselves over the generations even within their own communities. This is why I defend the Classical-Christian tradition. You may believe otherwise; I don't know. However, I do want to make it clear that I am not standing in the Enlightenment tradition, but in the tradition of Plato-Aristotle and of pre-1700 theological writers. I would guess that most ID proponents would not rest as much emphasis on the Classical-Christian tradition as I do, and would locate their critiques of TE and Darwinism in the theology of Reformers and of the first few generations after them, i.e., the period from about 1517 to 1650 or so.

You wrote:

"Kenotic divine action doesn’t mean that God isn’t doing anything but that God limits his cooperation with creatures to what is within their natural capacities."

Well, fine, but God created those natural capacities. And the question I keep asking is: How do Darwinists (whether TE or atheist) *know*, in advance of seeing a thorough Darwinian explanation for at least one major organ, system, body plan, etc., that "the natural capacities of creatures" that we have empirically observed are capable of producing major macroevolutionary change? It seems to me to be an article of evolutionary faith, not a confirmed result of science, that they are capable of this. And why should the public, or for that matter dissenting scientists, share the faith of evolutionary biologists on this question?

I agree that theologians are supposed to make assertions, but I think that, given that Christianity is fragmented into several major traditions, not to mention hundreds of minor ones, it sounds less dismissive to say: "I read Paul's account of the Incarnation as implying...", rather than: "A truly Christian understanding of creation requires ...". In other words, I prefer to see some sense of the ambiguity of the Christian tradition preserved. A good example of this approach I found in Paul Santmire's book *The Travail of Nature*, which I made use of in my own book on the Hebrew Bible and the environment (*The Bible, Baconianism and Mastery over Nature: The Old Testament and its Modern Misreading*). Santmire (whom I believe is a Lutheran) brings out the ambiguity in both Scripture and tradition regarding the themes with which he deals. That is how I wish TEs would write about "the" Christian understanding of creation and "the" Christian understanding of nature.

I wasn't making the point that more people agree with Aquinas than with Torrance in order to prove, by show of hands, that Aquinas was right. My point was one of protest: it seemed to me that you were dismissing centuries of pre-modern thinking on the question at issue, and asking me to endorse a few modern voices like Torrance and Barth. This makes theology out to be something "progressive", like chemistry, in which the latest measurement of the atomic weight of some element surpasses earlier ones, which can be discarded as less accurate. I, however, see no reason to think that modern theology is necessarily superior to older forms of theology. I admit that the majority is not always right; but the newer is not always right, either. And of course I grant the possibility that on any given *single* point, a modern thinker like Torrance might be more correct than an older one like Aquinas. However, based on the one book of Torrance that I read part of, many years ago, it seems clear to me that Aquinas is, overall, the greater comprehensive thinker of the two. (Which is not surprising, as there are few in the history of Western thought who are greater comprehensive thinkers than Aquinas.)

Finally, it is very funny that you should mention Lessing -- and I have read that work, by the way -- as someone against whom you have fundamental objections. In reading many of the opinions expressed by people here regarding miracles, naturalism, the interpretation of the Bible, etc. I have often felt that I was reading Lessing, or one of his Enlightenment ilk, rather than Luther, Calvin, or Augustine. And you must know that ID folk would agree with you in regarding Lessing as one of those modern "rationalists" who is to be utterly deplored. ID people in fact see TE and ASA people as the Enlightenment folk, the Lessing-ites, the non-traditionalists, the liberals who don't emphasize revelation enough, and who overemphasize reason. What do you make of that?

Cameron.