Re: [asa] No Adam?

From: Jim Armstrong <jarmstro@qwest.net>
Date: Sat May 02 2009 - 18:20:53 EDT

Indeed! A rebbe (teacher) friend of mine often relates stories of famous
rabbis and other figures in the past, with the stories challenging, yea
even defying credulity. Even after I realized the nature of these
stories, it has still taken me a long time to get acclimatized (I
think!) to this cultural style of teaching where the stories may or may
not reflect historical accuracy. But that accuracy is not the point, the
story being a vehicle for conveying or illustrating a concept.

The problem is of course cultural, our being largely disconnected from
centuries-old story-telling tradition. Our more western ears are instead
tuned such that the truth of the story is predicated on its historical
accuracy (unless the story is clearly defined as non-historical as is
the case for example with Aesop's fables). Even today, I dare say that
if this subject dilemma were posed to most Jewish teachers, they might
well respond, "Well, that's not the real point, is it?!" The
reality-of-Adam discussion may be intellectually stimulating, and even
provocative, ...but at the end of the day, the factual determination of
Adam's existence as an individual versus a notional figure of beginnings
is not the point, is it?

JimA [Friend of ASA]