Re: [asa] fall of Satan logic questions

From: <philtill@aol.com>
Date: Sat May 02 2009 - 01:08:21 EDT

 George,

It seems to be a cross-roads in how much truth you ascribe to the Bible if you take the Angel of the LORD to be a mere literary device rather than an actual human-looking manifestation of God that walked on the earth.? E.g., the following story couldn't have happened if it were a mere literary device:

11 The angel
of the LORD came and sat down under the oak in Ophrah... 12 When the angel of the LORD appeared to Gideon, he said...
?14 The LORD turned to him and said... And the LORD said, "I will wait until you return."

?19 Gideon went in, prepared a young goat, and from an ephah [b]
of flour he made bread without yeast. Putting the meat in a basket and
its broth in a pot, he brought them out and offered them to him under
the oak.

?20
The angel of God said to him, "Take the meat and the unleavened bread,
place them on this rock, and pour out the broth." And Gideon did so. 21
With the tip of the staff that was in his hand, the angel of the LORD
touched the meat and the unleavened bread. Fire flared from the rock,
consuming the meat and the bread. And the angel of the LORD
disappeared. 22
When Gideon realized that it was the angel of the LORD, he exclaimed,
"Ah, Sovereign LORD! I have seen the angel of the LORD face to face!"

 That's a lot of verbs ascribed to the Angel of the Lord. The story couldn't have happened without a human-looking manifestation standing there and doing those actions.? This would require more literary invention than I'd like to believe.? I'd rather believe the story actually happened and was not just invented to fill out a literary device.

Phil