[asa] dembski and YEC

From: Cameron Wybrow <wybrowc@sympatico.ca>
Date: Sat May 02 2009 - 00:27:42 EDT

Dear ASA-List Members:

Several people here have suggested that ID proponents do not explicitly or sufficiently distinguish themselves from YEC proponents, and that this justifies the rough ride they are often given by ASA members and other Christian scientists. But check this out:

http://www.uncommondescent.com/intelligent-design/henry-morriss-death/

and the full article it links to:

http://www.designinference.com/documents/2005.02.Reply_to_Henry_Morris.htm

Here Dembski clearly rejects YEC doctrines, and his praise for YEC is only for its role in maintaining a critical stance towards materialist forms of evolutionary theory.

He also outlines the scope and nature of ID, and ID's value for reaching people in the general culture who are not necessarily "churched". This is exactly the argument I made the other day. At the time, I had no idea Dembski had already made it.

Cameron.