Re: [asa] a little quiz about YEC

From: Murray Hogg <muzhogg@netspace.net.au>
Date: Fri May 01 2009 - 19:03:38 EDT

Hi Ted,

This is a fun little quiz!

Quotation 1 (Q1);
> "Young-earth creationism is a complex system. YEC's conception of history
> includes not merely a six-rotational-day Creation, but also a young age of
> the earth, miraculous creation of plant and animal life, a commitment to a
> historical Adam and Eve, a historical Fall with universal spiritual and
> physical consequences, and a global catastrophe."

Quotation 2 (Q2);
> "Creation-science does not
> include as essential parts the concepts of catastrophism, a world-wide
> flood, a recent inception of the earth or life, from nothingness (ex
> nihilo), the concept of kinds, or any concepts from Genesis or other
> religious texts."

My 150 word or less comparison;

The first author is offering a description of that which Young Earth Creationists generally assert including the biblical elements and as such makes a relatively uncontentious claim. The second, by contrast, is denying what many would consider the core claims of Creation Science but apparently without wishing to reject that system in its entirety. As such, the second author appears to affirm the possibility of a Creation Science methodology, whilst questioning whether such methods would necessarily lead to a conception of history which parallels that found in the Judeo-Christian scriptures.

My assessment of the authorship;

Two possibilities: EITHER

(1) a person attempting to "hijack" the values of CS in order to advocate a position which doesn't correspond to a literal reading of Genesis - this suggests the author was writing at a time when CS (under that name) was highly popular AND was conjoined in the popular mind with a literal reading of Genesis.

OR

(2) a person (historian of science/religion?) who is attempting to describe the broad range of CS views and who has seen persons such as described in (1) as being sufficiently influential that it is possible to question whether a literalistic reading of Genesis is necessary to CS as a programme.

I'd also note that for the quiz to make much sense, the author in question has to be reasonably eminent - not just a fringe "loony".

So my guess...Bernard Ramm or Ronald Numbers.

Now, off to Google...

Blessings,
Murray