[asa] costs of "doing something"

From: John Burgeson (ASA member) <hossradbourne@gmail.com>
Date: Fri May 01 2009 - 15:40:53 EDT

Here is a link to the costs of doing something quickly.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/01/opinion/01krugman.html?th&emc=th

"The 2008 election ended the reign of junk science in our nationís
capital, and the chances of meaningful action on climate change,
probably through a cap-and-trade system on emissions, have risen
sharply.

Paul Krugman

But the opponents of action claim that limiting emissions would have
devastating effects on the U.S. economy. So itís important to
understand that just as denials that climate change is happening are
junk science, predictions of economic disaster if we try to do
anything about climate change are junk economics.

Yes, limiting emissions would have its costs. As a card-carrying
economist, I cringe when ďgreen economyĒ enthusiasts insist that
protecting the environment would be all gain, no pain.

But the best available estimates suggest that the costs of an
emissions-limitation program would be modest, as long as itís
implemented gradually. And committing ourselves now might actually
help the economy recover from its current slump

There's more.

--
Burgy
www.burgy.50megs.com