[asa] Explainability of hydrogen atom

From: wjp <wjp@swcp.com>
Date: Fri May 01 2009 - 13:57:17 EDT

For reasons that I will discuss later, I have a physics
question:

Are the properties of the hydrogen atom explainable in
terms of the properties of an electron and proton?

In particular, I am thinking of at least two properties:
1) That the energy levels of the electron are discrete
2) That the hydrogen atom radiates only when the electron
falls from a higher level to a lower one (entailing by
conservation of energy that the radiation emitted is
also discrete).

At this point, I am not interested in whether the particular
values of the energy levels are explainable in terms of the
properties of hydrogenic constituents.

thanks,

bill