[asa] No Adam?

From: Dehler, Bernie <bernie.dehler@intel.com>
Date: Fri May 01 2009 - 12:31:54 EDT

Since I accept evolution, I think it follows there was no Adam- no first human. No fall from grace- the sin nature we have was inherited- it is surely the “sins of the flesh.” Our flesh needs to be redeemed.

Anyway… many ask “What about Jesus and other NT writers referring to Adam as a real person?”

I have some possible answers, but I think this is the best:

The ultimate answer is a mystery, but I think the ultimate answer is also the same answer to another question that (anti-evolutionary) evangelicals have to face and also don’t have a good answer. That is this question:

“Jesus and the NT writers spoke of an imminent judgment day and consummation of all things. Why didn’t that come to pass?”

I know we already argued this, and some, like Pastor Murray, disagree that the NT writers were convinced of an imminent return, or else re-define “imminent” from the common dictionary understanding. (Let’s not re-hash that.)

Anyway, in summary, it is a tough question, but I think it is no tougher than an existing question for anti-evolutionist theologians and I think both questions have the same answer!

RE: Dictionary definition:

imminent
Main Entry:
im·mi·nent
Function:
adjective
Etymology:
Latin imminent-, imminens, present participle of imminçre to project, threaten, from in- + -minçre (akin to Latin mont-, mons mountain) — more at mount<http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/mount>
Date:
1528
: ready to take place ; especially : hanging threateningly over one's head <was in imminent danger of being run over>