Re: [asa] Storming Young-Earth Creationism

From: John Burgeson (ASA member) <hossradbourne@gmail.com>
Date: Fri May 01 2009 - 10:46:56 EDT

Also of interest is that the author is (1) a geologist and (2) works
for Liberty University.

My understanding is that Liberty University holds YEC as a faith
position. I may be wrong on this, of course.

Ross's review of Young's book is interesting. Will the YEC community
learn from it?

I doubt it.

jb

On 4/30/09, John Walley <john_walley@yahoo.com> wrote:

> This is interesting from CHrisitianity Today.
>
> John
>

> Storming Young-Earth Creationism
> But is Genesis 1 the only text at issue?
> Review by Marcus R. Ross | posted 4/30/2009 10:00AM
>

> The Bible, Rocks and Time
> by Davis A. Young and Ralph F. Stearley
> IVP Academic, September 2008
> 510 pp., $21.99
>

> In The Bible, Rocks and Time (IVP Academic), geologists and Reformed
> Christians Davis Young and Ralph Stearley try to convince young-earth
> creationists (YECs) to abandon their position. First, they argue that the
> Creation account in Genesis 1 need not be understood as a historical
> narrative documenting the creation of the universe and its inhabitants in
> six normal (rotational) days. Second, they argue that the data from geology
> point unwaveringly to a planet of exceedingly ancient age.
>
> I particularly appreciated Young and Stearley's historical overview of
> church beliefs on Genesis and Creation. Their careful documentation puts to
> rest the claims of other old-earth proponents that the church fathers held
> views compatible with an ancient earth. They likewise present the origins of
> modern geology well, particularly within the broader historical backdrop of
> Christian influences on scientific thought.
>
> But BR&T is essentially a negative critique. Theologically, the authors seek
> to show that Genesis 1 need not be understood as describing six rotational
> days. But if so, which competing view should we adopt? They clearly dislike
> the "ruin-reconstruction theory" or "gap theory" (there was a large gap of
> time between the first and second verses of Genesis), and display
> reservations about the day-age view (the six days were much longer periods).
> The authors favor some kind of allegorical view (e.g., the "framework
> hypothesis"), but are steadfast that they will not make a positive case for
> any of these. The result is that the authors do not present their own views
> clearly enough for critical evaluation.
>
> The authors' discussion of Noah's Flood is similarly vague. They argue
> strongly against the Flood as a global, geologically formative event in
> history. But what are Christians to make of Genesis 6-9? BR&T makes no case
> for what the Flood actually was, or whether the authors even believe it
> occurred.
>
> BR&T, though rigorously argued and well-documented, is too limited. It is
> not that the arguments do not hit hard against YEC—they do. The YEC
> community should learn from this work. But a robust concept of the Creation
> cannot be articulated when Genesis 1 is evaluated in near isolation from
> other relevant Scripture (e.g., Gen. 2, 3, 6-11; Rom. 1 and 8; 2 Pet. 3).
> Were Adam and Eve historical individuals? Where was the Garden of Eden? Was
> the Fall an actual event? And how does this relate to evil? These and many
> other questions are never addressed.

> [...]

Burgy
www.burgy.50megs.com