Re: [asa] ID/Miracles/Design (more info)

From: Iain Strachan <igd.strachan@gmail.com>
Date: Fri May 01 2009 - 03:43:26 EDT

I once read of an amusing example of "information placing" in music. I'm
sure Bernie will appreciate this, believing as he does that all music
evolves rather than being designed.

An organist was playing a toccata by the (then) living composer Daniel
Pinkham. He noticed a curious passage where there were a set of sequences
of repeated notes, of differing lengths. These were clearly an evolutionary
process - just duplicate a set of repeated notes (gene duplication) and then
either add or subtract one or more notes (mutation). So they could be said
to correspond to a set of digits. On a whim, the organist dialed the set of
digits into his telephone, and to his great delight, when the phone was
picked up, he was greeted with "Daniel Pinkham speaking".

Ps. Intriguing: The first three letters of my name in alphabet characters
is a palindrome, and the last three letters of the name in Morse code are
also a palindrome. That MUST be deliberate design!