RE: [asa] God disproven by science?

From: Alexanian, Moorad <>
Date: Tue Apr 21 2009 - 20:00:51 EDT

You bring up the difference between the experimental sciences and individual, historical events. The former are generalizations of historical events, experimental data, whereas the latter represent unique historical events. In addition, there is a difference when dealing with entities without wills, which is what is done in physics, chemistry, experimental biology, etc., and entities that have will, viz. those who pray and the God who grants answers to prayers.

From: [] On Behalf Of D. F. Siemens, Jr. []
Sent: Tuesday, April 21, 2009 7:26 PM
Subject: Re: [asa] God disproven by science?

May I suggest that there is a further problem. Glenn Morton reported that
he was in an airport and found himself trying to witness to an Iranian,
if I recall correctly. It was certainly one who did not understand
English well. Just then a bilingual man came along, making communication
straightforward. Was the arrival of the translator a miracle or a
coincidence? Can anyone give an unambiguous answer?
Dave (ASA)

On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 16:12:15 -0600 (MDT) Bill Powers <>
> Bernie:
> Let me reply to one comment you make.
> >
> > Apparently, we don't see so many miracles in the USA because of
> our lack of
> faith. If this is all true, and there were more miracles, that
> could be
> scientifically studied. Thoughts on that? Is this a crazy
> theological claim:
> "Less developed countries see more miracles because of their
> greater faith." ?
> It seems to me that, as you say, if the statement is true, it could
> be
> studied empirically. Probably most of us are skeptical of the
> claim.
> But, then again, I'm not so certain that all miracles are so
> obvious. I'm
> dubious of the effort.
> What has concerned me for some time is we in this age of science
> have
> pushed God far into the background. Indeed, as we've been
> discussing
> here, it is essential in doing science to do so. Even if we permit
> Him in
> discovery, we have become accustomed to perceive the operation of
> the
> world to go on independent of God's direct action. We still can,
> however,
> by practice or simply commitment "see" or perceive His work. Yet it
> still
> remains for us something of an exercise, and not generally something
> that
> confronts, and even frightens us.
> This is my perception and a theological story goes with it that I
> will not
> bore you with. I simply bemoan this fact and wonder if others have
> a
> similar understanding.
> bill powers
> To unsubscribe, send a message to with
> "unsubscribe asa" (no quotes) as the body of the message.
Click to get information on the ultimate Bahamas relaxation vacation.

To unsubscribe, send a message to with
"unsubscribe asa" (no quotes) as the body of the message.

To unsubscribe, send a message to with
"unsubscribe asa" (no quotes) as the body of the message.
Received on Tue Apr 21 20:02:14 2009

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.8 : Tue Apr 21 2009 - 20:02:14 EDT