Re: [asa] Re: Renewable energy

From: Murray Hogg <muzhogg@netspace.net.au>
Date: Tue Mar 31 2009 - 16:07:47 EDT

Hi Burgy,

I checked out the article you cited below (note that there is a typo in the address - should be .../what.htm rather than .../what/htm) and I would say that given the time-frames and definitions in that particular article, then nuclear probably could be called a "renewable" resource.

Personally, however, I would opt for calling nuclear "long-term" rather than "renewable" - it certainly is the former, it certainly isn't the later. It might take a couple of thousand years, but sooner or later the Uranium supply will peter out.

Putting aside the definitional quibble, the treatment of nuclear in your piece is, I think, about right as it stands - you correctly point out that something significant will need to happen in order for nuclear to become a viable alternative to fossil fuels. Absent such developments, however, and discussions about a nuclear future are entirely academic. Your also clear on the time-scales involved so I don't think a careful reader should be in anyway misled.

I'm not sure whether I need to add a rider to the above in order to satisfy Janice - her response to my last post makes clear that she missed the point of my remarks. The ONLY issue I was addressing was whether nuclear is a renewable energy supply and everything I wrote should be taken in that context - including my remark about the left not "playing games". Hence, NEITHER the citation from Adam Smith nor the 32% figure who oppose nuclear on environmental grounds are of any relevance whatever - unless, of course, Janice wants to suggest that I've been taken in by the vast green-conspiracy and that the truth is that one really can keep digging Uranium out of the ground forever.

Blessings,
Murray