Re: [asa] Re: Renewable energy

From: Murray Hogg <muzhogg@netspace.net.au>
Date: Mon Mar 30 2009 - 19:35:39 EDT

Hi Burgy,/

If one is strictly speaking of RENEWABLE energy then nuclear is excluded because it's not a renewable resource.

Contrary to the claims coming from certain quarters there's nothing political or ideological about this, just a recognition that the supplies of raw material are limited to what we can dig out of the ground -- the same case as with oil or coal. Indeed, even the nuclear energy industry don't pretend theirs is a renewable technology so one can hardly imagine that advocates of renewable energy sources are playing games.

A 2005 joint OECD Nuclear Energy Agency / International Atomic Energy Agency study "Uranium 2005 Resources, Production and Demand" suggests that given continuation of current practice there are sufficient reserves for 85 years, although developments in technology could push that figure out to several thousand years (for a summary of the findings: http://tinyurl.com/2lum4a).

One other consideration for the USA in particular is that dependence upon nuclear energy would render the USA dependent upon foreign supply - so even with the use of more efficient technologies there could be good reason for a rejection of such technology by the USA.

Blessings,
Murray