Re: [asa] Yes -- the YECs are still winning

From: John Burgeson (ASA member) <hossradbourne@gmail.com>
Date: Mon Mar 30 2009 - 16:12:40 EDT

Gosse's OMPHALOS explanation is still (I think) the only possible YEC
explanation that could even possibly be true.

Suppose it were true. Would it follow that "God is a liar?"

I think not. It might follow that, as a species, we are a lot less
intelligent than we think we are.

Burgy

Anything worth doing at all is worth doing well
But almost everything which is actually done
is done rather poorly.
This is known as the General Law of Universal Mediocrity.

On 3/30/09, gordon brown <Gordon.Brown@colorado.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Mar 2009, George Cooper wrote:
>
>> Can we not liken today's YEC conflict with 17th century's Geocentric
>> (capitalized for its absolute center idea) model? It was very clear to
>> the
>> Church, based on their interpretation of scripture, that the Earth was the
>> absolute center of the universe; the lack of parallax was strong objective
>> evidence against an alternative moving Earth, along with other "obvious"
>> evidentiary observations.
>>

> I think that the outcome of the geocentrism controversy can give us some
> encouragement that the day will come when YECism will be mostly a thing of
> the past, but conservative theology will not disappear with it.
>
> I do however see a significant difference in these issues. Geocentrism
> arose because of what observers thought they saw. The Bible was brought in
> to try to back up this view. YECism was deduced from Biblical
> interpretation, not from observation of the world. Phony scientific
> arguments were invented to back up this interpretation.
>
> Gordon Brown (ASA member)

Burgy
www.burgy.50megs.com