RE: [asa] Yes -- the YECs are still winning

From: gordon brown <Gordon.Brown@Colorado.EDU>
Date: Mon Mar 30 2009 - 15:49:09 EDT

On Mon, 30 Mar 2009, George Cooper wrote:

> Can we not liken today's YEC conflict with 17th century's Geocentric
> (capitalized for its absolute center idea) model? It was very clear to the
> Church, based on their interpretation of scripture, that the Earth was the
> absolute center of the universe; the lack of parallax was strong objective
> evidence against an alternative moving Earth, along with other "obvious"
> evidentiary observations.

I think that the outcome of the geocentrism controversy can give us some
encouragement that the day will come when YECism will be mostly a thing of
the past, but conservative theology will not disappear with it.

I do however see a significant difference in these issues. Geocentrism
arose because of what observers thought they saw. The Bible was brought in
to try to back up this view. YECism was deduced from Biblical
interpretation, not from observation of the world. Phony scientific
arguments were invented to back up this interpretation.

Gordon Brown (ASA member)