Re: [asa] Yes -- the YECs are still winning

From: David Clounch <david.clounch@gmail.com>
Date: Mon Mar 30 2009 - 15:48:18 EDT

> *George* is correct that we can not prove YEC wrong because there is the
> possibility that the universe was made very recently.

I'm sorry, I must object. When George said it he could have meant he was
describing a philosophical position that is contrary to objective reality.
Describing the position doesn't necessarily mean he believes that
position. The position, as far as I know, is entirely counter to all of
science. Science assumes physical phenomena extend in both directions
in time in a continuous differentiable fashion. A major discontinuity
in physical laws is outside of and contrary to physics. It is an
absurd metaphysics that is more bizarre than all the nutty ideas
physicists have dreamed up about the origin of the universe and grand
unified theories and the multiverse and all that jazz. Next we will be
told that if Taoist monks can write down the nine billion names of God then
the universe will dissolve.

Philosophers of science Laudin and Quinn wrote in Mike Ruse's collection
why creationism is science...they argue it is because creationism can be
proven wrong and the theory evolves with tentative conclusions, etc, etc. So
George is correct that YEC is not by definition wrong. But the reason isn't
because the universe could have been created a millisecond ago. This latter
idea is insane.