[asa] Texas school board vote

From: John Burgeson (ASA member) <hossradbourne@gmail.com>
Date: Mon Mar 30 2009 - 15:05:13 EDT

Following is an exerpt from an organization that was fighting the
creationists in Texas:

Just a short while ago, the Texas State Board of Education voted on
new public school science standards that publishers will soon use to
craft new science textbooks. The good news is that the word
“weaknesses” no longer appears in the science standards -- this is a
huge victory for those of us who support teaching 21st-century science
that is free of creationist ideology.

The bad news is the final document still has plenty of potential
footholds for creationist attacks on evolution to make their way into
Texas classrooms. Through a series of contradictory and convoluted
amendments, the board crafted a road map that creationists will almost
certainly use to pressure publishers into putting phony arguments
attacking established science into textbooks. As (we) told the New
York Times: "The State Board of Education pretty much slammed the door
on ‘strengths and weaknesses,’ but then went around and opened all the
windows in the house.”

What’s truly unfortunate is that we will have to revisit this entire
debate in two years when new science textbooks are adopted in Texas.

--
Burgy
www.burgy.50megs.com