Re: [asa] Yes -- the YECs are still winning

From: David Clounch <david.clounch@gmail.com>
Date: Mon Mar 30 2009 - 10:25:58 EDT

Hmmm. I am surprised and disappointed. Most Christians I know are OEC,
meaning old universe, old earth. But I'm not sure why there isn't a robust
set believers in old universe, young earth. It must have something to do
with hermeneutics. Why does the theology have to always be young universe,
young earth?

I was hoping the YEC movement had dealt with the objective reality issue
instead of demanding intellectual suicide as a plank in their platform. I
was hoping there was a YEC answer to the issue. But can it be the case that
denial is how the movement actually handles it?

But, it seems to me what YEC's are really doing with denial of objective
reality is
denial of the Christian naturalism that Stephen M. Barr points out in his
book.
One must keep in mind that naturalism was invented by Christianity in order
to repudiate pagan cultures in support of The One God who created
regularity, law, and mechanism in nature. One would think only pagans would
argue against Christian naturalism.

This is an interesting aspect of the sociological study of Christianity.

This is painful for me personally. I almost cannot stomach going into a
church and rubbing shoulders with people who go "truth, truth, truth, truth,
BIG LIE, truth, truth". And when you call them on the big lie they start
saying you aren't really a Christian. One doesn't know if one can believe
anything anybody says in church. For the record I hang at General Baptist
Convention churches and used to attend a Conservative Baptist Convention
church and before that the Evangelical Free Church (actually Chuck
Swindoll's church on Malvern).