Re: [asa] Yes -- the YECs are still winning

From: dawson wayne <dawsonzhu@gmail.com>
Date: Mon Mar 30 2009 - 09:01:24 EDT

2009/3/30 wjp <wjp@swcp.com>

> 2) Wayne I appreciate your attitude more than most. But I've still got a
> bone
> to pick with you, the same bone I'm picking on with everyone. You argue
> that a person who believes in an old world and evolutionary theory as
> presently
> construed and is "committed to Christ" can serve as a witness to the
> possibility
> of conjoining the two, something the YEC fears is not possible, or not
> easily balanced. I suggest, however, that you presume too much. History
> has
> admirably demonstrated that the intentions of the fathers are worked out in
> detail by their children. Perhaps it is possible for this to be true of
> you,
> and yet that in succeeding generations it will be found to demolish
> Christianity.
> This is certainly what the like of Dawkins believes.

Many churches are already well on the decline. Having been converted as an
adult, I can say that a major reason (in my case at least and to many people
of similar education) is because YEC made the church seem embarrassingly
idiotic and possibly deranged. Most of the people I have to deal with don't
have any reason to question the general conclusions of science on the age of
the earth. Moreover, to many people (including myself at that time),
Christianity and YEC were equivalent. Naturally, when I became a Christian,
that was exactly the kind of reaction and attitude I had to contend with.
The younger generation has less and less need for such irrelevancies, and so
they turn elsewhere, including Dawkins; though his
"take-it-on-the-chin-science/philosophy" is probably mainly appealing to
some scientific types not so different in training from myself.

At least some churches that really are growing tend not to divide the church
so much with YEC/OEC issues. As far as I can tell, Rick Warren leads one of
them. I also recently read a book "The Reason For God" by Timothy Keller;
he does not speak well of YEC, and he runs quite a megachurch in New York
City; the last place on earth where anyone would expect a _church_ to
prosper. It is certainly not the case that a church grows (or dies) as a
function of its leanings toward (or away from) YEC. In fact, YEC may
ultimately succeed more at thoroughly demolishing most of the church.

I think the whole effort at division undermines the gospel. It is just one
more way to become distracted from living a life of repentance; as if we
didn't have plenty of other more important and difficult things to learn
about living a Christian life.

by Grace we proceed,
Wayne