Re: [asa] Yes -- the YECs are still winning

From: Ted Davis <TDavis@messiah.edu>
Date: Mon Mar 30 2009 - 08:44:38 EDT

>>> David Clounch <david.clounch@gmail.com> 3/29/2009 7:58 PM >>> asks:

One must ask, is there a form of YEC that teaches that the earth is young
but the universe old? That seems to be the only chance YEC has of being
congruent with objective reality.

***

Ted replies:

Yes, but it's not the AIG or CRS variety. The variant is known as the
"young biosphere" view. I have met electronically only one or two
proponents, but they do exist. Interestingly, one early proponent was
George McCready Price, who at one point (around the Second World War, if I
recall correctly) that the universe might be perhaps 100,000 years old but
that life was only a few thousand years old. Obviously that won't do it,
and neither will any other young biosphere view since the science calls for
millions of years of large organisms--"nephesh creatures," as the YECs like
to call them--who antedate our arrival on the earth and thus go against the
fundamental belief of no death prior to the fall.

Ted