Re: [asa] Yes -- the YECs are still winning

From: David Clounch <david.clounch@gmail.com>
Date: Sun Mar 29 2009 - 19:58:40 EDT

> So when you observe a supernova explosion at 90 million light years away,
> that event didn't really happen because the universe is only a few thousand
> years old.
>
> With this logic we could also all believe that everything was just made 10
> seconds ago- including the memories of all our past events, which didn't
> really happen.
>
> ,,,Bernie

 Bernie,
I had not read this until now. You point out something I have been thinking
of for a long time. The YEC position can produce a quirky
phenomenology. The real problem with this phenomenology is it is also
FATAL to the concept of objective reality. If I were a YEC I would run
from this as fast as I could. Christianity and the very idea of truth are
both based on the idea of an objective reality. As is science.

One must ask, is there a form of YEC that teaches that the earth is young
but the universe old? That seems to be the only chance YEC has of being
congruent with objective reality.