Re: [asa] Constitutional legitimacy of Phil. Sci. in US public schools (was Re: [asa] The fight in Texas over evolution training in schools)

From: George Murphy <GMURPHY10@neo.rr.com>
Date: Sun Mar 29 2009 - 13:04:13 EDT

I think a comparative religions course should deal with religions that have
had a significant impact on the community in question. Today in the US that
would include Judaism, Christianity & Islam - the latter if only because of
its prominence in world affairs these days. Communities with significant
Buddhist or Hindu presence could include them. One can't cover everything.
In some places there might be pressure to include ersatz religions like
Wicca or Scientology but I'd rather not have any such course at all in that
case. That latter view of course has no legal force!

Shalom
George