Re: [asa] Re: Scientific stupidities part 2

From: <gmurphy10@neo.rr.com>
Date: Fri Mar 27 2009 - 15:21:08 EDT

I guess I'll have to be more explicit than I was in my "gravitons" post about the pejorative use of the term "theology." I think I know what Glenn means. He doesn't like the fact that theologians aren't the kind of hard-nosed empiricists he'd like them to be. But this just reveals a lamentable lack of understanding of what theology is. Any Christian who thinks about what he or she believes is doing theology because that's simply what theology is, thinking about one's religious faith. It's fides quaerens intellectum, faith in search of understanding, if you want to sound classier.

Now of course not all believers are professional theologians, but in a basic sense they all have a theology if they use their brains. The question is whether or not it's good theology or bad theology. I have no intention of reopening old debates with Glenn about Gen.1-11 or biblical interpretation in general - those who wish can find plenty in the archives. It suffices to say that he has a theology, one that requires the kind of hard nosed empiricism I mentioned about Adam, the flood, &c, and IMO it's bad theology.

Shalom,
George