Re: [asa] Scientific stupidities part 1

From: Glenn Morton <glennmorton@entouch.net>
Date: Fri Mar 27 2009 - 06:32:15 EDT

Well, of course I exaggerate a wee bit, but the raw machiavellian truth is that when one group of people get control of the funding sources, and they think they have metaphysical truth, and constantly cackle about 'consensus', how likely is it that they will fund contrarian science projects? That is why it isn't worth much.

I will absolutely agree that peer review helps fix English mistakes in a paper and occasionally helps point out important papers unknown to the author. But, in my experience, it has been more likely that a paper will be accepted or rejected based upon the views of the reviewer.

Yes, I know which branch of sociology this falls into. I came to these views while watching geophysicists who work for me refusing to actually deal with contradictory data. All theories have contradictory data, but most oil propsectors, unfortunately will ignore problems in order to generate a prospect. When challenged about the contradictory data, it is often dismissed as unimportant, which isn't true. Then having read of other accounts of this happening in other disciplines, sociology of science began to sound more and more credible.

I absolutely agree with what you say about the ASA list (this will not be liked, but then when has that ever stopped me). This list, like all others eventually becomes a huge echo chamber where the views are not all to different and the debates are less and less about fundamental assumptions than about minutiae of one very broad world view.

As to rigging with retrodiction, If I could see the future as clearly as you do, I would have used future examples of it instead of past examples. But, alas, unlike others, I only have access to history, not to the future. But one that was once future to me, was the reception my views on peak oil recieved when I first started talking about them. I believed my own BS and invested at the right time.

The one sentence that stands out of your post is this: "If someone is trying to get tenure or trying to be accepted by his or her peers or to climb a higher educational system's ladder of position, then one is better advised to play by 'the rules of the game' than to challenge the status quo. "

Translated this means, if you want to advance, you better not be looking for the truth.