Re: [asa] Re: Scientific stupidities part 2

From: Glenn Morton <glennmorton@entouch.net>
Date: Fri Mar 27 2009 - 06:19:23 EDT

Once one leaves observational verification, science becomes nothing more
than mathematical theology. Take the Graviton. Tony Rothman (and someone
else) had a conversation with Freeman Dyson about whether or not the
graviton was verifiable. Rothman with the someone else wrote a paper on
that idea. They concluded that in order to detect the graviton, one must
build a clear liquid vessel the size of Jupiter and monitor it for 14
million years before having the high certitude of getting one interaction.
But because of the noise level in such a system, it would be impossible to
tell the noise from the signal. and even if you could do that, if you
monitored it for 14 million years and got a strike, you would have to wait
another 14 to 28 to get enough confirmations to publish!

So, the question is: Is the graviton verifiable. How nutty is the concept?