Re: [asa] The fight in Texas over evolution training in schools

From: Glenn Morton <glennmorton@entouch.net>
Date: Thu Mar 26 2009 - 22:16:16 EDT

I too stand by mine. I hope my list of stupidities made it through tonight. But, If papers with assumptions lacking evidence shouldn't be published, how does science justify the publication of anything on branes or the multiverse? There is not a shred of observational evidence for the existence of the multiverse, yet science (physics in particular) gets a pass.

You are absolutely wrong that they had no data otherwise. They had lots of pre clovis C14 dates, at Meadowcroft, at Monte Verde, Cactus Hill, Topper etc. Yet all those dates were rejected by the majority for years before finally the majority of anthropologists accepted Monte Verde, and now some other pre-clovis sites. http://www.nytimes.com/library/national/science/110999sci-first-americans.html

C. Vance Haynes, mentioned in the article above, is like a young-earth creationist who, no matter what data you place before his eyes, he can find a way to doubt it. There is a famous account in James Adovasio's book

>>>"Then, suddenly and in a sense parenthetically, the talk turned to Meadowcroft, and Haynes told me and the assembled multitude that if only I would date just one seed or one nut from the deepest levels at Meadow-croft, he might be led to believe in the antiquity of the site.
"That was it, I burst out in derisive laughter. Over the years, in scientific paper after scientific paper, Haynes had asked for yet another date, yet another study, raising yet another picayune and fanciful questions about Meadowcroft, most of which had been answered long before he asked them-not just in the original excavation procedures but in report after report. Up until this time in Monte Verde, I had complied.
. . .
"Horse*%&#, I said constructively. I told Vance Haynes there and then that never would I accede to any request he made for further testing of the Meadowcroft site because if I did he would simply ask for something else in a never-ending spiral of problems. I explained that the matter of Meadowcroft's antiquity was settled as far a s most other professionals and I were concerned, and that if any remaining skeptics did not believe it, I could not care less. I then stormed out of the bar with Tom to cool off outside in the parking lot." J. M. Adovasio with Jake Page, The First Americans, (New York: Random House, 2002), p. 223-224<<<

And, Haynes, a formerly very influential person in American Anthropology voted to accept Monte Verde, he later couldn't help himself and he came up with more picayune doubts. From the NYtimes article above.

"Dr. C. Vance Haynes Jr. of the University of Arizona, one of the staunchest defenders of the Clovis orthodoxy, said that, though he had been a member of the panel of experts that authenticated Monte Verde's pre-Clovis credentials, he now had serious second thoughts. After further study of the evidence, he said, "To my surprise, I found these data to be inadequate and therefore unconvincing."

Haynes will never, ever follow the data.

As to the system working

"The Physicist Max Planck claimed that theories are never abandoned until their proponents are all dead-that science advances 'funeral by funeral'. " Martin Rees, Just Six Numbers, (New York: Basic Books, 2000), p. 10

The geologists trained in the 1930s rarely accepted continental drift.

  ----- Original Message ----- From: Randy Isaac